What makes the perfect Daddy Dom in a novel? It is a question I work tirelessly on to answer in the romance novels I write as Arabella Kingsley and Cordelia Gregory. My Daddy Dom characters are a modern twist and combination of handsome elegantly dressed classic 1940s film stars such as Cary Grant in Notorious, Gregory Peck and more daredevil action heroes like James Bond, Napoleon Solo in The Man from Uncle and even Jonathan Hart in the 1980s series Hart to Hart. They are characters I grew up watching and fell in love with whist they romanced my favourite ice cool beautiful feisty female characters like Grace Kelly, Eve Marie-Saint, Ingrid Bergman, Katherine Hepburn and Stefanie Powers in Hitchcockian plots. So, I have tried to come up with short definitive list of what I perceive as the top qualities and requirements for a perfect Daddy Dom, those that set him apart from just a bossy man who likes to tell the heroine what to do all the time.
- The perfect Daddy Dom should always be smartly dressed usually in a suit. In my novels whether they are Billionaires, dark Mafia Bosses or spies they will wear a suit most of a time and have an athletic appearance. This plays into establishing the character as dependable controlled intelligent authority figure in the life of the heroine as well as those around him. Someone with self-discipline who can be relied upon in a crisis. It also denotes his success and capability in his profession.
- The ideal Daddy Dom will be the ultimate protector for the heroine even if she at first finds his need to protect her annoying when she is attempting to be independent. This will often take the form of both physical and emotional protection. He will not be deterred by her initial rejection of his assistance and will view the heroine as a beautiful precious gift he has been given and must take care. Someone’s needs who outweigh his own.
- The prized Daddy Dom will act as a guide for the heroine in helping her to recognise and believe in the special qualities he has seen in her and loves. He will safely guide her to push her own boundaries and explore her inner self, needs and desires to reveal her own uniqueness encouraging her to embrace her true self, the woman he has fallen in love with.
- One of the most important qualities for the perfect Daddy Dom is loyalty to the heroine. I have always viewed loyalty as a higher form of love. People can flippantly say they love you but it can be fleeting. Loyalty is harder to achieve and even harder to acquire from another person so when it is given it is precious and never wavers. He must never give up on her even if she resists him at first. He must move heaven and earth to be there when she needs him, to protect and support her and always put her needs before his own even if it might just cost his own life.
- This is arguably the most important quality a Daddy Dom must possess. The heroine must be able to trust him in any given situation with her life and emotional well-being, in particular during lovemaking and discipline. Once trust is broken there is no going back.
So, what do you believe makes the perfect Daddy Dom? What makes the top of your list of qualities he must have? Enter to win a $5 Amazon gift card by answering the comment above. The best answer (favorite response) will be selected by the author.