Hey y’all, I’m Magan Vernon, author of the Murphy brothers series.
As more people start getting to know the brothers and get ready for the last book, I’m getting more and more questions about Irish slang.
So, I’ve decided to share some of my favorite Irish slang used in the books!
- Mo Gra – “Aw, I knew ya missed me, mo gra, and you’d be back”
-A term of endearment like saying ‘my love’. Used by Irish men when flirting.
- Eejit – I was an eejit and lashed out in a weak moment, when I should have been groveling.
-Fool or idiot.
- Gobshite – Looks like ya gobshites are stuck with me for a while.
-Big jerk or idiot. Dublin slang.
- Yeti AND Mickey – Really? Are they at least good ones, or do I look like a yeti with a mickey?
-A large, hairy man. And, of course, a mickey meaning the man’s genitalia.
- Knackered – I’m thinking the American cure my brother Connor told me always worked for him when he was knackered was fast food, and SuperMacs is still open.
-Drunk. Wasted. Etc.
- Gas – You’re a good lad, but you think it’s a gas to get a rise out of people.
- Scarlet the bird – Come on, Pinky, let’s not scarlet this bird anymore and get her home.
-To embarrass someone. Make them blush
Do you have any favorite Irish slang terms? Or want to know what they mean?