A great many books have been written about time travel. And, in fact, books and movies take us to different eras on a regular basis. But if it was possible to go to another time, which one would you choose? And why?
If I had the chance, I would love to go the Elizabethan Court. I have always admired Elizabeth I. She was truly a liberated woman in a man’s world and had to stand alone for England against all her foreign enemies. But unlike male monarchs, she also had to deal with additional internal strife and naysayers since she was a female. And she managed to go down in history as one of the greatest rulers ever.
Before I left here, I would first make sure I did a copious amount of preparation. Just the clothing alone would present a challenge. A corset? A farthingale? But, everything I would need to appear as a fashionable noblewoman, so I could fit right in, is available. I think I would have to pass on the lead-based makeup though.
And it might be difficult to skip the daily shower, but I would manage. Any hardship would be worth it, just for the adventure alone!
Another time and place I would like to visit is Nashville during the Civil War.
Now, unlike Hannah in “Hannah’s War”, I know about the sweep of Smokey Row and I would be on my guard to avoid it. Like Hannah, though, I would like to be a nurse. Maybe, knowing what I know, I could prevent some pain. Maybe not save men who are supposed to die, since I cannot change history…or can I? Is history fluid? If we time travel and alter things, what would happen?
If history was reworked, how would our world be affected?
I am not the first to ask the question. What do you think? And if there was one thing you could change, what would it be? And what do you imagine would be different today because of it?
I would love to hear where you would like to go and why. And, I have three signed copies of the re-release of “Hannah’s War” which I will give away in a random drawing to three readers who respond.
Well, just in case you get the chance to go to another era, I have compiled a list to help you prepare:
Ten things to pack when you are planning to time travel into the past
- A history with specific dates and events so you don’t get caught off guard if there is a revolution or something
- Aspirin – time traveling will probably give you a headache, plus it’s great for so many ailments
- Immodium – Like visiting another country for the first time, all that different food might wreak havoc and indoor bathrooms were not available before the 1930’s.
- Chapstick – years whizzing by will definitely dry out your lips
- A pen and paper – you’ll want to record everything you experience
- Deodorant (self-explanatory)
- Toothbrush and dental floss (also self-explanatory)
- A purse size manicure set (not only will you be well-groomed—those little tools will come in handy for a variety of purposes)
- A tweezer (see #6)
- And, last but not least… Hand sanitizer (for obvious reasons)
And don’t forget to fasten your seatbelts…