Strawberry picking is a favorite mid Spring pastime here in the South. As soon as those little bitty seeds go in the ground it’s an anxious countdown till that day in May when you can head to your local U-pick farm and fill your baskets with fresh strawberries. It’s so fun being out in those long sandy rows of huge green leaves as you search for the perfectly ripe berries. From plucking the best ones to admiring just how gorgeous they are hanging out in a bunch to even shooing a curious little grasshopper away from your basket of goodies, the entire trip to the berry patch is a southern treat.
In R.C. Alverez’s new book Unchained Desire, the heroine Kyria thoroughly enjoys her sweet treats as well as being around the beauties of nature. We are convinced that berry picking is likely a favorite pastime for her during those warm Spring months. She might even grow her own! It led us to wonder just what would Kyria do with all her baskets of fresh picked strawberries. We narrowed it down to five classics that we think would be our heroine’s favorite to whip up for herself and for friends.
- Simple & Sweet – Coming straight off the vine, washed and sliced, toss them into a bowl with a sprinkle of sugar. No bells or whistles for this easy and tasty way to serve up your haul.
- Classic Strawberry Shortcake – This one is an easy way to impress your guests or just a slightly fancied up way of dressing up your berries. Most of the ingredients can be found at your local grocer. You start by making a sauce with just your sliced berries and sugar, letting it set for a bit so that it can get a nice syrupy texture. Once that is complete, you build up from a foundation of shortcake, although in Kyria’s case she just might choose angel food cake (wink, wink). Next you pile on a heaping spoonful, or two, of that strawberry sauce letting it cascade down the sides of your cake. The final touch is simply some whipped cream! Piece of cake, right?!
- Strawberries for Breakfast – Strawberries in either slivers, slices or whole make a terrific topping for an array of breakfast staples. Just pile them atop a stack of pancakes or a waffle or add them to your cereal or yogurt. Even alone as a side, they make for a yummy and healthy sweet treat for the most important meal of the day.
- Strawberry Pie – Pie is always a crowd favorite and is sure to be one of Kyria’s too. You can get super Betty Crocker and make the crust from scratch or take the quick and easy route and purchase a premade one from the grocery store. The filling can be as easy as berries and sugar to a berry, sugar, gelatin combo. Whatever route you take, just top with fancy dollops of whipped cream and arrange some pretty slices of strawberries, chill in the fridge for a bit and you are good to go!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – Who doesn’t love this romantic treat? They are so sweet and decadent and surprisingly simple to make! You start by getting your plump whole berries cool, this will help the chocolate set. While they are chilling you melt your chocolate either in a double boiler or—if you don’t own anything quite so specific—a simple microwave-safe bowl in thirty second intervals will do just fine. Chocolate choices can be whatever you desire! White, milk, dark or something unique like a feisty chili flavored chocolate, whatever your taste buds are in the mood for! Once your chocolate is melted, you simply dip the strawberries in, twirling till most of the red is coated. Let any excess chocolate drip off and then lay onto a baking sheet or wax paper. You can even be extra creative and add sprinkles, or drizzles of caramel. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination. It will not take long for the chocolate to set and soon you’ll be enjoying your sweet and sexy treat!
There you have it! Five quick and easy and delicious treats to whip up with your freshly picked strawberries. We hope it inspires you get out and enjoy nature and her wonderful springtime bounties. Better yet, we hope you enjoy some of these sweet treats while diving into Unchained Desire releasing May 27th!
Chained to a demon queen for hundreds of years, fallen angel Ramiel has given up on his brothers and sisters—and humanity. He has seven days away from hell to replenish his power and that’s all he cares about—right up until his meeting with the much too innocent Kyria. He fell for that act before and it landed him in hell, he won’t be making that mistake again.
To save her sick father, Kyria knows she must find Ramiel. He’s dark, brooding and everything Kyria should be scared of, but the haunted look in his eyes makes her think there’s more to him. The tattoos and chains don’t frighten her either, but the connection she has with him does. When strange creatures attack her, Ramiel steps in to protect her.
Ramiel believes he’s reluctantly helping Kyria, but what neither of them knows is that she may be the one to save them all…