In my debut contemporary romance novel, KNOW WHEN TO HOLD HIM, my hero Liam Connelly is a former NFL player, now a sports agent representing a top football recruit, whose prospects could be diminished by a burgeoning scandal.
I’m mostly a college football fan but I also love a good football movie. There’s something so All-American and life-affirming about them, so I’ve put together a short list of my favorite football flicks.
5. Junction Boys – This was an ESPN movie a few years back but I had to include it because it’s about Coach Bear Bryant’s first season coaching at my alma mater, Texas A&M University. I’ve heard stories about the Junction Boys all my life, so seeing it on screen was pretty cool.
4. We Are Marshall – It’s a great story about how college football can bring a community together. And it’s got Texas native Matthew McConaghey in 1970’s clothes so that’s always a plus.
3. Jerry Maguire – My hero Liam Connelly has a lot in common with Jerry Maguire, a sports agent who works his butt off to represent the best of the best. There’s no manifesto in my book, but there’s some ‘show me the money’ attitude and a whole lot of heart.
2. Friday Night Lights – Although it’s not a movie, this series about a high school football team in Texas will make you feel all the feelings. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose.
1. Rudy – If this iconic football movie’s final scene doesn’t make you feel all warm and gooey, you might want to get your heart checked out.
I can almost see my hero Liam sitting on the couch, trying to pretend like that wasn’t a tear that just fell from his eye after watching any of these. Who doesn’t love a big, strong man with a soft side? That’s what you get in these football flicks, and in KNOW WHEN TO HOLD HIM, a story of a former football player who’s strong enough to love a Texas woman.