Why Do I Love Being A Romance Author? I’ll Give you 10 Great Reasons…
Recently I read a blog article by a bestselling author who was candid about that fact that she’s gone through a rough couple of years, and how she’s coming out the other side. I was touched and inspired, because I can relate to her journey. Her words gave me a bit of courage to share some of my own challenges, and how I’m overcoming them. Believe me, it’s a daily process.
While I have plenty of books on the horizon for my readers, it’s been a tough past year for me. Recently I survived a sad divorce from my husband of 20 years that devastated me and my two teenagers. He was my best friend, my muse. What was I to do now? Without him, who was I? Am I so unworthy of love? For months I struggled with my writing, emotionally drained and nowhere near up to writing romance—something that’s usually pure pleasure for me. Two people falling in love? He’s an awesome hero, treats her like a queen, and it lasts? Really?
Yeah, it’s been hard. But with the support of my parents and many bottles of wine with close friends, writing is once again becoming a labor of love. Good change hasn’t come overnight. But with time, I’ve realized that I must live my life for myself, embrace it, and be happy with who I am—an author, a good friend, and a loving mom. My kids are healing and happier, too, which means more than anything in the world to me.
I still have bad days when I ask myself, “Why the hell am I doing this? Does anyone value my work?” Even authors have black moments—those dark times don’t always belong to an author’s hero and heroine. Then I step back, take a deep breath, and remember why I’ve fought so hard for my career, and why I love what I do. Here are 10 tongue-in-cheek reasons for any author, Letterman-style, to keep the juices flowing:
10. You get to assume another identity on a daily basis.
9. You get to travel to faraway places without leaving your chair.
8. When you tell your friends and family “I see dead people” they know it’s true…and that it’s normal!
7. Hot sex with a hunky, charming, sensitive and rich man…even if only in your imagination.
6. You get to work in your pajamas.
5. Eventually quitting the sucky day job. (What? Someone told you not to do this? That person is either jealous or related to your boss.)
4. In what other profession can you legally kill off everyone you loathe AND win an award for it?
3. The wild, uninhibited use of passive voice, dangling participles, and sentence fragments, much to the dismay of your high school English teacher.
2. Seven sweet words: “Would you sign your book for me?”
AND the top reason to be a romance writer is...
1. No matter how tough things get, a happy ending is at your fingertips!
And doesn’t everyone want a happy ending? I know we all deserve one. So now I’m going to take my own pep talk to heart, pull up my big girl panties, and get to work on finishing BLACK MOON, the third in the Alpha Pack series, which is Kalen Black’s story. Kalen is a Sorcerer who’s battling against an evil Unseelie who wants to take over his mind, and use his power to achieve terrible ends. Only Kalen’s Alpha Pack friends, and the love of his mate, Dr. Mackenzie Grant, can save him…
Embrace your joy, authors and readers, and never, never allow anyone to make you feel like you’re less than the wonderful person you are! Because you never know whose life will be touched by your light…